sábado, 8 de diciembre de 2012

Books That I've Enjoyed (part I)- Libros que he Disfrutado (parte I)



"10 books I've enjoyed"
"10 libros que he disfrutado"

I’m gonna talk to you briefly about some of the books I’ve read throughout my 22 years that I specially enjoyed. It’s not that these books are masterpieces or not (some might be consider so, others might not). It’s just that they meant something for me, and I want to share that with you. You might have heard about some, read others, or have no completely idea of what I’m talking about. Anyway, thanks for taking a look.
Os voy a hablar, brevemente, de algunos de los libros que he leído a lo largo de mis 22 años y que he disfrutado especialmente. No es que sean o no obras maestras (algunos puede que lo sean considerados, otros no). Es sólo que significaron algo para mí en su momento, y quiero compartirlo con vosotros. Puede que hayáis oído hablar de algunos, leído otros o no tener ni idea de qué estoy hablando. De cualquier manera, gracias por echar un vistazo


1-Beat the Reaper – Burlando a la Parca (Josh Bazell, 2009)

This book was a present from my uncle. It stars a doctor who previously was a hitman for the Mafia.. I won’t give much of the plot away, but is pretty basic. This former mob has his past chasing after him. It’s not quite original, but it is the way the story is driven, mixing with flasbacks that show us the main character when he was a teen and started into the hitman bussiness
There were two things I loved about this book. The first one was that it didn’t take itself too seriously, giving, as a conclusion, a hilarious ride with Peter “Bearclaw” Brown., the main character. Really funny, really absurd. Enjoyable 100%.
Yeah, this is Peter "Bearclaw" Brown
The other thing was that, by it the time it came out, I had recently started Medicine School (I was in the beginning of my second year), and since then, I had experienced the pressure of having relatives working as Doctors: “You have to do this” “don’t forget to study that” “take a look at this 91834761938421928 page-book and then sum it up for me” “bla bla bla pheochromocytome bla bla bla”. So when my mother told me “I had a book for you. Your uncle gave it to me” I was already thinking “Great, another thick-as-a-stone-book”. However, I was gladly surprised by this book that helped vanish all that pressure. Thanks Uncle. 
As a side note, the books rights were bought by Leonardo Dicaprio’s Production company, and there is supposed to be a movie in the works, with him attached to star…however, I haven’t heard anything else about it…
Plus, the author is from San Francisco...damm I love that city...
 Este libro fue un regalo de mi tío. Tiene como protagonista a un doctor que, previamente, fue asesino para la Mafia. No quiero revelar muchos datos de la trama, pero es bastante básica. Este matón se ve perseguido por su pasado. No es muy original, pero es la forma en que la historia es llevada, intercalando flahsbacks que nos enseñan cómo era el protagonista cuando era adolescente y empezó en el negocio del asesinato.
Hubo dos cosas que me gustaron de este libro. La primera fue que no se tomaba muy en serio a sí mismo, dando, como resultado, un viaje desternillando con Peter "Zarpa de Oso" Brown, el protagonista. Realmente divertido, realmente absurdo. Disfrutable 100%
La otra cosa fue que, para cuando salió el libro yo había empezado recientemente la carrera de medicina (estaba al comienzo del segundo curso), y desde entonces, había sentido la presión de tener familiares doctores: "Tienes que hacer esto" "No te olvides de estudiarte eso" "Échale un vistazo a este libro de 91834761938421928 páginas y resúmemelo" "bla bla bla feocromocitoma bla bla bla". Así que cuando mi madre me dijo "tengo un libro para tí que me ha dado tu tío" yo ya estaba pensando "Genial, otro libro grueso cual piedra". Sin embargo, fui gratamente sorprendido por este libro, que ayudó a desvanecer esta presión. Gracias tío.
Como nota al margen, los derechos del libro fueron comprados por la compañia productora de Leonardo Dicaprio, así que se supone que va a haber una película, con él supuestamente como actor principal...aunque no he oído nada al respecto.
Además, el autor es de San Francisco...me encanta esa ciudad...

2-The Hobbit (J. R. R. Tolkien, 1937)

I first heard of Tolkien and his stories when I was 8 years old, in a summer camp. This stories were told to us as bed stories and I loved them but I didn’t even know where did they come from. Imagine my surprise when, years later, I go to the cinema to see this new movie, “The Lord of the Rings”, and found this stories reflected on the screen.
I bought the trilogy of the ring right after the films came out, ten years ago, but for different reasons, I couldn’t read them until now (I just finished the second book, one week ago). But I wanted to do it in order of “chronology”, and since the movie of The Hobbit is coming out now, I asked a friend in September to lend it to me.
I loved the book. It reminded me a lot of those bedstories. The inocence, the naiveness, the imagination and the happiness of being 8 years old again. It was like finding a long-time-lost-me, waiting to be found. I must confess I’m really hyped for the movie, but even though it will probably be a success, I don’t think it will reach me as the book did.
I want to see this movie...RIGHT NOW!
Oí las historias de Tolkien cuando tenía 8 años, en un campamento de verano. Estas historias nos eran contadas como "cuentos para dormir" y me encantaban, pero no tenía ni idea de dónde venían. Imaginaos mi sorpresa cuando, años después, voy al cine a ver esta nueva película, "El Señor de los Anillos" y me encuentro con estas historias reflejadas en la pantalla.
Me compré la trilogía del anillo justo después de las películas, hace diez años, aunque por diferentes razones no pude leerme los libros hasta ahora (acabo de terminar el segundo, hace una semana). Pero quisé hacerlo en orden "cronológico", y puesto que la película El Hobbit va a ser estrenada ahora, le pregunté a un amigo en Septiembre que me dejara la novela.
Me encantó el libro. Me recordó a esas historias. La inocencia, la ingenuidad, la imaginación y la alegría de volver a tener 8 años. Era como encontrar a un yo-perdido-hace-tiempo, esperándo a ser encontrado. Debo confesar, que estoy realmente impaciente por la película, pero aunque probablemente sea un éxito, no creo que me llegue tanto como el libro

3-Señores del Olimpo (Javier Negrete, 2006)

Javier Negrete is a Spanish autor. I don’t know if this novel has ever be translated into English nor other languages, but the main title would be something like “Masters of Olympus”.
By the way, Zeus main character
By 2006 I had already had contact with the amazingly-great God of War game, but any later approach to the Greek mythology seemed impossible and boring. I even tried to read Homero!
This author used what he best knows ( nevertheless, he is a Greek Mythology teacher, if I’m not wrong) and through different myths, he adapted them and formed this story, and this book. I really hope this book is ever adapt into a movie, because I think it will work perfectly if done correctly. The story got me hooked until the last page, last line, last word. I even had to read it twice! Is the kind of book I tend to recommend to people, so take note. 
I’ve read other books by this author, some of those were really good as well (specially his saga, about a world called “Tramorea”), but this is by far my favourite
Javier Negrete es un autor español. No sé si esta novela ha sido alguna vez traducida al inglés o a otras lenguas. (pero el título sería algo como "Masters of Olympus"
Para 2006 yo ya había tenido contacto con el genialmente genial God of War, pero cualquier intento posterior de acercarme a la mitología griega parecía imposible y aburrido. ¡Incluso intenté leer a Homero! Este autor utilizó lo que él mejor conocer (sin ir más lejos, es profesor de historia griega, si no me equivoco) y a través de diferentes mitos, los adaptó y formó esta historia, y este libro. Realmente espero que este libro sea alguna vez adaptado en una película, porque creo que funcionaría perfectamente si lo hicieran correctamente. La historia me enganchó hasta la última hoja, última línea, última palabra. ¡Incluso tuve que leerlo dos veces! Es el típico libro que tiendo a recomendar a la gente, así que tomad nota.
He leído otros libros de este autor, algunos de los cuales eran también muy buenos (especialmente la saga que ocurre en el mundo de "Tramoréa"), pero este es de lejos mi favorito

4-Eragon (Christopher Paolini, 2002)

Great Book. Lamest movie ever
I think I read this book back when I was 13-14 years old or something like that. I loved dragons and fantasy tales by the day so it is not surprise that this book quickly became one of my favorites (or favourites, you can write them both ways depending on where you are, USA or UK) books ever. I read the next two installments (I still have the fourth one left, I will read it someday) just to know how the story cotinues and, eventually, ends. However, it was definetly the first book and that story that kept me dreaming for months that pushed me, even more, into reading. It was such a shame the movie was so lame…I felt really disappointed. Anyway, watching the side of the book on my bookshelf always puts a smile in my face.
Creo que leí este libro cuando tenía 13-14años o algo así. Me gustaban los dragones e historias de fantasia por aquel entonces, así que no es sorprendente que este libro se convirtiera rápidamente en uno de mis favoritos. Leí los dos siguientes libros (aún me queda el cuarto aún, algún día de estos lo leeré) para saber como continuaba la historia y, eventualmente, terminaba. De cualquier manera, fue sin duda el primer libro y su historia lo que me dejó soñando por meses y me introdujo aún más en la lectura. Fue una pena que la película fuera tan mala...Me sentí decepcionado. Aún así, ver el dorso del libro en mi estantería aún me coloca una sonrisa en la cara


5-Ender’s Game - El Juego de Ender (Orson Scott Card, 1985)

This book is really considered a masterpiece by some people, and with a movie in the works, it will probably become more popular among the current generations.

I had heard about this book way years before I finally got it. My cousins, older than me, talked about it many times, but I didn’t really pay attention nor I was interested. Then, years later, I’m with my girlfriend in a village, going for a walk, and we decide to enter a bookshop, just for the shake of doing so, just to watch the books that were there to be sold (I love doing so). And there ir was, Ender’s Game, waiting for me to buy it. It was like a sign. I bought it, I was quite excited “I’ve heard a lot about this book” I told my girlfriend “ Really? What is it about?”, “I have no idea, but I’ve heard a lot about it…”.

Yes, logic, whatever.

I started the book quite inmediatly and was quickly hooked by the complexity of its main character: a 5 year old boy, Ender. I felt really connected to this character, he felt very real, very human… I suffered along the book when he was suffering, and was amazed by the ending and the “bad guys”. Really really really “recommendable”. Try it out! I did also read the second part, Speaker for the Dead, which was also great and lovely. The third one, however, disappointed me. Anyway, even nowadays, Ender’s Game (and its sequel) is in the top of favourite books ever.

Ender's Game movie adaptation
Este libro está realmente considerado como una obra maestrapor algunas personas y, con una película en camino, probablemente se haga más popular entre las nuevas generaciones.
Había oído hablar de este libro durante años antes de que finalmente me hiciese con él. Mis primos, más mayores que yo, no dejaban de hablar de él, pero yo no prestaba atención ni estaba realmente interesado. Entonces, años después, paseando con mi novia por un pueblo decidimos entrar a una librería, porque sí, sólo para ver los libros que estaban a la venta (me encanta hacerlo). Y ahí estaba, El Juego de Ender, esperándome para que lo comprara. Fue como una señal. Lo compré. Estaba muy emocionado "He oído hablar un montón de este libro" le dije a mi novia "¿Sí? ¿De qué va?" "No tengo ni idea, pero he oído hablar mucho de él..."
Sí, lógica, lo que sea.
Empecé el libro inmediatamente y enseguida me enganchó por la complejidad de su protagonista, un niño de 5 años, Ender. Me sentí muy conectado a él, porque parecía muy real, muy humano... Sufrí a lo largo del libro cuando él sufría y quedé encantado con el final y con los "malos". Muy muy muy muy recomendable. ¡Inténtalo! Leí también la segunda parte, La Voz de los Muertos, que fue también genial. La tercera parte, sin embargo, me decepcionó. De cualquier manera, aún hoy en día, El Juego de Ender (y su secuela) está en el top de mis libros favoritos



Soon, the second part of this post, featuring "Fight Club", "Watchmen", "the Death Gate Cycle", "Harry Potter" and "the Name of the Wind"
I'm still writting it, I'll upload it as soon as it is finish
Pronto, la segunda parte de este posto incluyendo "El club de la Lucha", "Watchmen", "El ciclo de la puerta de la muerte", "Harry Potter" y "El Nombre del Viento"
Aún estoy escribiéndolo, lo subiré tan pronto como esté acabado

Hackett Out

3 comentarios:

  1. En este post hay tres libros que también se encuentran en mi lista de preferidos: Burlando a la parca, El juego de Ender y Señores del Olimpo (en este orden), de hecho estoy releyendo Burlando a la Parca, y esperando a ver si se dignan a sacar de una vez la película o el segundo libro!

    Philipp

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Me gusta saber que tuve que ver algo con todos ellos! ;-)
      Estoy en tu misma situación Philipp, ansioso por ver como sigue la historia de Zarpa de Oso, pero creo que me reservaré la "re-lectura" para cuando sepa algo de la segunda parte/película
      Disfrútalo(otra vez)!

      Hackett Out

      Eliminar
  2. tuviste todo que ver en estos tres! gracias =)

    ResponderEliminar